Monday, April 20, 2009

"This is not an underestimation!" he said

They were out to coffee (actually outside too. most likely in the sun) and he held his cup with both hands. Her cup simply sat on the table. She would drink it when she needed to. He used his to gesture. Especially when he was in the middle of this great statement: 

“Every time I see you I forget how pretty you are because these daydreams of mine can never quite match up. And this is not an underestimation! but rather the reality of who you are is far more appealing than any made up fantasy this man (referring to himself cleverly) can imagine. And I know you can’t take compliments. (the next statement he says because he thinks he knows her) Not well anyway . So I pray you don't see this as unspecific flattery that can very rarely be trusted, but as a conviction that maybe I should take up less dreams and enjoy more true images that lay before me. like the way I swear our smiles happen together and—” 

She said, “You say too much sometimes” with a smile

“Ouch” he says with a good mix of hurt, sarcasm and an attempt to smile through his rejection.

“I promise I’m flattered” A moment goes by.

“Well sure, but you could at least let me say it,” he throws out like a small kid.

“Believe me I know it. I knew it the first time you spent all your energy listening to me”

That’s not good enough for him. She smiles. He sulks. She smiles more and does not look away from him. Her look dares him to make eye contact. If he did it would be too hard to keep his grumbly way. She does not falter. He laughs at her and then himself. 

 

No comments: